1. What is WinXDefender?
It's rogue computer security software, tending to mislead PC user by generating fictitious computer infection alerts. This program is equipped with free scan option, but the results are false and exaggerated in order to show user that the system is infected and he is prompted to buy commercial program version to activate spyware removal function. WinXDefender is downloaded and installed by a trojan, which is closely connected with corrupt video codecs. WinXDefender removal using Add/Remove Programs tool can be useless because of a trojan which is able to renew infection over and over again.
2. WinXDefender screen shot:
3. How to remove WinXDefender:
- Internet connection might be disabled or Internet browser might be blocked by WinXDefender, so it won't be possible to download any files to infected computer. In this case please download all files required for WinXDefender removal to another computer and then transfer them on the infected one using CD/DVD or USB flash drive.
- To remove WinXDefender download Spyware Doctor and install the program (for the installation guide click here). Before installation, make sure all other programs and windows are closed.
After the installation, computer scan should be started automatically. If so, please move to the next step. If not, click "Status" on the left side menu and press "Scan Now" button to run computer scanner as shown in the picture below:
After the scan has been completed and scan results have been generated, press "Fix Checked" button to remove WinXDefender.
- Restart the computer to complete WinXDefender removal procedure.
4. WinXDefender files:WinXDefender.exe, defender_setup.exe (setup file)
5. Hijackthis entries:
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WinXDefender] C:\Program Files\WinXDefender\WinXDefender.exe